Wednesday, 8 February 2017

Draft Music Video-Changes

  Draft Music Video-Changes

Originally, the introduction to my draft music video included several shots of my band performing. One initial long shot and several extreme close ups followed by a medium shot of all the members leaving. Unfortunately the drum kit I was planning on using has been discarded, and the location of filming the rehearsal scene is being used as storage space. It can be cleared out easy enough but the drum kit is gone. And there’s no way I’d be able to take one out of Wyke.
So I thought of a new intro, that doesn’t involve playing instruments. The intro will fade in to an over the shoulder shot of me writing in the same garage, trying to write a song. I’ll write some awful verses, cross them out moderately angrily, and decide to take a break and clear the writer’s block by playing some video games, and from there the narrative aspect of my music video will remain mostly the same.
My initial idea also included a large amount of shots of the band performing in the garage, but that has to change now. So I’ve decided to replace those shots with ones that further the video game’s narrative, and depict the band member becoming increasingly invested in the life of the virtual character. While this was initially disappointing, and I didn’t like the switch from narrative and performance to purely narrative, it actually allowed me to improve the story idea greatly. There is more development in the two characters now, both the band member and the virtual version of him. The idea that by the end of the video the band member changes his stance on playing video games and how they shouldn’t be a central part of your life is now more plausible.
The ending will remain the same however, with a medium shot of the two band members standing at the door with a car running in the background, so the other band members will not be completely cut from the production. One member is still featured in the intro, and both are present part way through when my band member presents the song idea to them.
The performance of the therapist when the second verse starts will be unaffected, and he’ll still keep the cowboy hat and I’m in the process of acquiring a fully-fledged cowboy outfit for my actual video. This is primarily to add some humour to the text, as I think the mixture of full cow pattern cowboy pants, freakishly tight rawhide jacket and an even larger cowboy hat would definitely do the job.

There is still a way that I could insert performance aspects into my music video. I may have the opportunity to use a drum kit, guitar etc that are owned by Wyke, and use the college facilities to film. This means that the mise-en-scene and location of the performance aspects of my music video will not be what I initially wanted or planned, but because my available resources have changed, this is now my best option if I still want to include a performance aspect with good production value. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music Video (Draft 2)

Here is a version of my music video prior to me adding all of the video game effects into the scenes.